Recent Fire Damage Posts

Residential fires can happen anytime!

7/1/2020 (Permalink)

Microwave fire causes cabinets and smoke damage in San Diego kitchen. SERVPRO technicians had 24/7 emergency quick response Microwave fire causes kitchen damage

“Honey….do you smell something burning?” Sometimes we all get preoccupied with chasing the dog or the kids around and we forget that we put food in the microwave. It happens to the best of us, but usually we can catch it before anything really bad happens. Unfortunately for this homeowner, it was too late and the microwave went up in flames.

In this picture you can see that some of the microwave melted and parts of the cupboard above the microwave were affected. As always, SERVPRO of Santee/Lakeside was quick to respond to this distressed homeowner’s house to work on restoring the damaged areas. If you also have distractions that end in your home having fire damage, call the fire restoration experts at (619) 258-7200.

Too hot to handle - Literally!!

6/1/2020 (Permalink)

As the evenings cool down we all want to gather with friends and family to roast s'mores in a backyard bonfire! While this is a fantastic summertime tradition, it’s incredibly important to exercise great caution when building a fire in such close proximity to your home. These few tips below will ensure you have the safest backyard bonfire possible!

Building a fire pit with old bricks, stone, or cinder blocks is one precaution to keep the fire contained in a specified area. It’s also important to choose your fire pit location very carefully. You do not want this area to be close to your home, dry trees, brush, or dry fences. Although it’s quite tempting to pile on lots of wood to create a huge, roaring fire, this greatly increases your chances of losing control of your bonfire. Finally, always be alert when handling your bonfire and never leave children or intoxicated adults responsible for tending to the fire.

However, in case of an accident, you can rest assured that SERVPRO of Santee/Lakeside can repair your fire and smoke damage. Give us a call at (619) 258-7200 and let us help make it "Like it never even happened."

Faulty Wiring Causes Fire & Smoke Damage

5/22/2020 (Permalink)

Faulty electrical wiring in bathroom vent caused the metal to melt and drop from its place in the ceiling. Fire Damaged Air Vent

When a fire breaks out, smoke penetrates into the walls, ceilings, furniture, and even clothes. Unfortunately, the smell of smoke can remain in your home for months and sometimes even for many years if not treated properly. A homeowner in Chula Vista had faulty electrical wiring located in a bathroom air vent which caused a fire. Fortunately, the owner heard the melted air vent drop and quickly put the fire out with an extinguisher.

Although minor damage manifested, our team got called in to clean and deodorize the bathroom and surrounding rooms. SERVPRO of Santee/Lakeside technicians are experts regarding techniques and equipment to get the job done in the most efficient and quickest way possible.

Call SERVPRO of Santee/Lakeside for assistance with your fire & smoke damage (619) 258-7200.

Fire Damage - Call SERVPRO of Santee / Lakeside!

5/18/2020 (Permalink)

Garage door in San Diego home was torn down by firefighters to get inside burning building and extinguish fire before damage. Garage door torn down by firefighters to get inside burning home.

Sometimes the fire itself isn’t the only thing to cause damage. Oftentimes, firefighters have to make quick decisions in order to save the house and end up inflicting damage on the house as well. In the picture above, firefighters at this San Diego home’s fire had to tear out most of the garage door in order to quickly and safely get their team of firefighters in the building and, ultimately, prevent as much structural damage as possible! Thankfully, there were no injuries or lives lost in this particular house fire, but the damage wasn’t what you’d expect.

SERVPRO of Santee / Lakeside works closely with homeowners or property managers and the insurance company to help restore the property to its original condition. Call us today for any fire, smoke, or soot damage needs at (619) 258-7200

Protect Valuables with a Fireproof Document Safe

4/27/2020 (Permalink)

SERVPRO of Santee/Lakeside will always be here to repair fire and smoke damage, but sadly we cannot repair or replace valuable and irreplaceable documents and belongings. You’ve installed smoke detectors and trained your children to call 911 and “Stop, Drop, Roll”, but have you considered storing your important documents and other valuable belongings in fireproof storage?

It is recommended to keep insurance policy documentation, bank account information, and other certificates such as passports or social security cards which may be difficult to replace if damaged. You may also choose to store bank safety deposit box keys, hard drives, family keepsakes, cash, or jewelry in your home or business’s fireproof storage. 

If you have fire or smoke damage call SERVPRO of Santee/Lakeside at (619) 258-7200. We’ll make it "Like it never even happened."

Fire Prevention

9/22/2016 (Permalink)

Fire Prevention - Santee Fire Station 4 - In training.

SERVPRO’s support through the Disaster Responder program demonstrates our commitment to help families prevent, prepare for and recover from disasters. This October we will recognize the two-year anniversary of an important initiative to reduce deaths and injuries from home fires, the disaster Red Cross responds to most frequently every year.  As the American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign reaches this significant milestone, the Red Cross and the community partners have already saved at least 111 lives, and have made at-risk communities from coast-to-coast stronger and safer by installing more than 473,000 smoke alarms, replacing more than 32,000 batteries and creating nearly 170,000 escape plans. 

The crew the picture was in training, some insurance carriers no longer write home policies in Santee and Lakaside due to previous devastating fires.  These guys are ready, just like our crew!!

Fire Prevention - Santee Fire Station 4 - In training.