Burning Christmas Tree
Many families celebrate the holidays with a Christmas tree and, while they are beautiful and festive, they can also be a huge fire hazard! Fire departments across the country respond to hundreds of Christmas tree related calls each year. Follow these next few tips to prevent a Christmas tree bonfire in your living room!
Keeping your live Christmas tree well watered can prevent it from drying out and easily catching fire. A dried-out tree can fully ignite in a matter of minutes, giving the fire enough mass to easily spread to nearby curtains and walls in your home. Simply by ensuring your tree’s water pot is always full can make it far less flammable and prevent a very destructive and potentially life-threatening fire this holiday season.
Some fires are caused by too many strands of Christmas lights being plugged together, thus overloading the electrical outlet. Before plugging in your Christmas lights, be sure to check the voltage maximum on your outlet and refer to the lights manufacturer for other recommendations. Having your lights on a timer can save electricity and prevent these lights from overheating and starting a fire while unattended.
SERVPRO of Santee & Lakeside is always available to assist with fire and smoke damage, but following these easy safety tips can prevent thousands of dollars in damage and potentially save lives!