Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Early Detection Saves Lives
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and it is more than wearing pink. It is about helping the research, raising awareness, supporting the fighters and appreciating life.
Did you know that 1 of every 8 women born today will get breast cancer at some point in their lives? Scary to think it can happen to us, a family member or a friend. Regular checkups and a healthy lifestyle make a huge difference.
With this post we would like to drive awareness for early detection and to show our support to all the survivors that inspire us every day with their strength and determination. Also to all the people who volunteer for the programs giving women access to free mammograms and support groups. Remember, early detection saves lives!
Water Damage in Drywall
Removed drywall and drying techniques in process.
This home in Ramona, 92065 contained water damage caused by a pipe leak within the wall. Due to the location of the broken pipe, the drywall had to be removed in various rooms throughout the house. After removing the drywall, our drying machines were set in place to absorb the moisture. The flooring in most of the rooms was carpet and had to be removed. Other rooms had tile and were dried.
Process on Drywall Water Damage
- Identify problem or source of water
- Inspect and remove water damaged drywall
- Dry and restore wet areas
- Staining on ceilings or walls
- Swollen drywall
- Musty odor
- Loose shower tiles
- Soft and breaks down easily
Tree knocked down by severe weather
Storm causing tree disater
Rain storms in San Diego, are very unlikely. So when it occurs people are usually unprepared for such harsh weather. Meaning everything is at risk, including your home. Unfortunately for this home owner in Lakeside - 92040, the storm managed to knock down a tree plunging it straight through the roof. Our team got called into immediate action. After following safety procedures and securing the area tarps were quickly set in position to avoid any further water damage. While the tree was taken apart and thrown in a wood chipper. Water did manage to travel inside but our drying techniques saved the wood floors.
Malfunction in Faucet
Water spreading through the carpet in one of the rooms.
A faucet malfunction in a bathroom caused water damage throughout a whole house located in San Diego - 92130. Unfortunately the owners were not in town when this occurred therefore the leak had time to migrate into various rooms, hallways, walls and eventually to the garage. Once the team got called into action they quickly detected the damages and proceeded with the drying techniques in order to avoid total loss. On the other hand, the dry wall and bathroom cabinets had to be removed, all while the drying was in place. This whole process took three days to complete. The owner was satisfied with the outcome and left a comment in our service questionnaire saying, "Pat, Isaac, Carmen & Jonathan were great, professional & courteous. I would highly recommend".
Fire Damaged Air Vent
When a fire breaks out, smoke penetrates into the walls, ceilings, furniture, and even clothes. Unfortunately, the smell of smoke can remain in your home for months and sometimes even for many years if not treated properly.
A homeowner in Chula Vista - 91909 had faulty electrical wiring located in a bathroom air vent which caused a fire. Fortunately, the owner heard the melted air vent drop and quickly put the fire out with an extinguisher. Although minor damage manifested, our team got called to clean and deodorize the bathroom and surrounding rooms. Our crew are experts with techniques and equipment to get the job done in the most efficient and quickest way.
Process on Fire Damage
Step1: Emergency Contact
Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
Step 6: Cleaning and Repair
Step 7: Restoration
Fire Prevention - Santee Fire Station 4 - In training.
SERVPRO’s support through the Disaster Responder program demonstrates our commitment to help families prevent, prepare for and recover from disasters. This October we will recognize the two-year anniversary of an important initiative to reduce deaths and injuries from home fires, the disaster Red Cross responds to most frequently every year. As the American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign reaches this significant milestone, the Red Cross and the community partners have already saved at least 111 lives, and have made at-risk communities from coast-to-coast stronger and safer by installing more than 473,000 smoke alarms, replacing more than 32,000 batteries and creating nearly 170,000 escape plans.
The crew the picture was in training, some insurance carriers no longer write home policies in Santee and Lakaside due to previous devastating fires. These guys are ready, just like our crew!!
Fire Prevention - Santee Fire Station 4 - In training.
CA Mold Bill
The mold bill was passed last year. Here is a quick explanation from Sen. Holly Mitchell
On Friday, Oct. 9, Gov. Jerry Brown approved SB 655 by Sen. Holly Mitchell, D-Los Angeles.
What does this mean for the rental housing industry?
While the new law does add “visible mold” to the list of conditions that can make a property substandard or untenantable, SB 655 offers property owners a number of protections from bogus claims of mold contamination:
- Visibility: The mold growth must be visible. No more air tests that tenants and their attorneys attempt to use to delay evictions and avoid the payment of rent.
- Confirmation: The mold must be determined by a health officer or code enforcement officer to rise to a level that endangers the life, limb, health, property, safety or welfare of the public or the occupants. No more last minute tenant self-declarations that the mold exists.
- Location: The law excludes from the substandard code mold that is minor and found on surfaces that can accumulate moisture as part of their properly functioning and intended use – such as bathroom showers and window sills.
- Notification: The owner must have received notice that the mold exists in order to have any obligations under the law.
- Responsibility: The owner is not on the hook if the tenant caused the mold by failing to properly clean the unit or failed to use electrical fixtures to like bathroom fans to keep mold out.
- Accessibility: The law makes clear that the landlord has the right to enter the property to make repairs and clean up any reported mold. In some situations today, a landlord receives notice, but the tenant refuses to allow the owner in to address the issue.
Always ready to respond at moments notice.
A State Farm agent referred us to a client that had a broken pipe. The home owner did not know the extent of the damage and contacted SERVPRO of Santee/Lakeside. The homeowner explained that rental property in the College Area was tenant accupied. We dispatched a supervisor to inspect the water damage and determine if the customer needed to submitt a claim to State Farm. Often times during inspections if the damage is minimal, and the cost to mitigate is less than the deductible a claim is not filed. It helps the customer by not having a claim on and the agent as well.
Our franchise always offers our insurnace agents, and clients a free inspection and quote. It provides the member with valuable information to make a good decision regarding a water damage to their home or business.
Water Damage Wood Floor
In place drying of wood floors.
Our team got called into immediately response due to a water damage loss located in Coronado. The slab leak mainly impacted the wood floor located in the kitchen. The wood floors extended to other parts of the house and our primary goal was to restore the floor in order to avoid replacement and further costs.
The in place techniques served it's purpose, therefore it prevented total loss. Our experts are trained to detect moisture content within building materials, and quick to make a decision on proceeding with drying techniques.
Enclosed is a picture of the progress, our crew successfully saved the floor, leaving the customer and the insurance company content with the finishing results. SERVPRO of Santee/Lakeside takes great pride when responding to a job, our crew won't reside until we leave it "Like it never even happened."
We are teaming of with the Santee Chamber, applied to be part of this group.
Are you a Young Professional in Santee? East County's first Young Professionals Group is getting ready to launch and we are seeking four leaders who want to be at the forefront of this project.
This group will serve as a forum to engage professionals ages 21-42 from Santee Chamber member businesses to help them become more competitive in the business arena, build new networking relationships, and experience personal growth.